I love baking banana bread. There’s something about using up those old bananas and turning them into something delicious and new that makes me feel like accomplished and all I had to do was mix a couple of ingredients together and put them in the oven for a little bit. So here is my super simple recipe for banana bread.
- 140g soft butter
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 140g self raising flower
- 2 bananas
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- To start you want to preheat your oven to 180° C. Then into a mixer you want to place your butter and give it a bit of a spin to thin out your butter and make sure it’s soft.
- Add your sugar to your butter and mix thoroughly. It’s will look like a slightly gritty yellow paste.
- Add your two eggs and mix them through before adding your flour. The flour will make the mixture thicken up.
- Peel your bananas and place into a separate bowl and mash well. The riper your bananas are the easier they will be to mash. Once your bananas are mashed add them to your mixing bowl and give it a good mix.
- Lastly add your baking powder and vanilla extract and give one final mix. Place some baking paper into a 2lb loaf tin before pouring your mixture in. Place in the oven for around 40 minutes. Check your banana bread with a skewer and make sure it comes out clear before removing it from the oven and leaving it on the side to cool.
And that’s it. That’s all it takes to make delicious banana bread that always goes down well. I usual end up having some for breakfast in the morning or with a vanilla chai tea latte as an afternoon pick me up. What’s also great about this recipe is that it is so simple and easy to add other bits into it. For example why not add some chocolate chips or even some cherries for that extra burst of flavour.